Wednesday 26 September 2012

Training Plan for 2012/13 - This time it's personal.

Over the past few weeks I've slowly been ramping up the training, and this week the morning sessions have kicked in. Geez how I hate them. Getting up at 6am has never been my strength, and to do so just so I can fit in some painful pullups and thrusters isn't exactly the sort of inspiration your mind needs at that time. But still, it's gotta happen...

Part of what I'm hoping will help will be a good training plan. I learned a lot from last year about the balance between doing all I can and overdoing it, as well as refining it in terms of what sort of exercises I do when, to help balance it out and focus on my weaknesses.

So, this is what I'm proposing for the 'intense' training period which I think I'm about to enter (with 4 months to go)
  • Cycling - 3-4 days a week, 30+km each time. This is my work commute so I usually don't push too hard, but I'll be making sure to include some solid sprinting work up some choice hills.
  • Circuit/Boxing - Mon/Wed evenings respectively. These are the sessions after work with the trainer, so they're good solid cardio and muscular endurance sessions. Intensity varies, but good regular sessions.
  • Strength morning sessions - I've realised that a lot of my work last year was more 'muscular endurance' than 'strength', and that's what let me down - especially in the upper body. So Monday, Wednesday and Friday morning will be 30 minutes of focused strength work. Think pull-ups, shoulder press, bench press... you get the idea. Few reps, heavy work.
  • Lunchtime sessions - Monday and Wednesday will be jogs (including some upper body work), Tuesday and Thursday will be more interval work. 
  • Jogs - Weekends we'll fit in some decent jogs, including some off-road group jogs as time and commitments allow...
 Of course, planning is the easiest/funnest bit. Doing will be trickier...



No comments:

Post a Comment